Saturday, February 28, 2009

things that make me laugh

Mel Brooks makes me laugh. I just finished watching "Blazing Saddles". I laughed out loud and often. I've seen this movie in bits and pieces over the years, over and over. Each time, I know what's coming and I find myself laughing even before the gag happens.

I like to think of myself as a relatively sophisticated guy. And then, I find myself laughing as Alex Karras punches a horse, or when Clevon Little rides into town as the new sheriff in matching Gucci attire on a color coordinated horse. I wonder who thinks of this stuff.

McLovin is my hero. The complete teenage geek who goes out and gets a fake ID and gives himself a name like McLovin with a straight face, like he's Prince or something, cracks me up.

Gary Larsen, the guy who did Far Side has my number. Dinosaurs smoking?? Didn't the Surgeon General post warnings on the packages. The Surgeon General has determined that cigarette smoking will cause you to go extinct.

Harvey Korman and Tim Conway looking at each other and trying to stay in character, never achieving that goal; Now that's funny.

I don't know why one thing is dumb and the next is funny. It just is. Getting hit in the crotch is shocking, but not really funny. Barbara Billingsley (Mrs. Cleaver) speaking jive is funny. Mr. Bill being destroyed each week on Saturday Night Live, or John Belushi as anything, or Land Shark saying "candy gram" are really funny, and they stand the test of time.

There are times when I want my humor to be socially responsible, mocking our leaders as they bumble their way through the day. Rod Blagojovich does make me laugh.

Mostly, I just like to laugh.

2 comments:

  1. Carol Burnett as Scarlet O'Hara in a curtain gown complete with rod is FUNNY!!! :-D

    My dad LOVES Blazing Saddles. It's one of those movies he can't talk about without laughing!!

    There's a fine line between funny and stupid.... knowing where it is and not crossing it is a great skill that only the funniest ones among us have :-)

    In reply to your question about The Shopping Channel -- I don't have any experience with it, sorry. I'm curious about the furniture you mentioned, though.... do you have more info about it??

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein, Spaceballs, so much good stuff! Comedy is such a challenge and those who can do it well are incredibly talented. Great post.

    ReplyDelete