Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Golden Agers

I eat breakfast at McD0nald's, two breakfast burritos, hash browns, and milk or coke. I don't know how this started, but this is how I start my day.

I travel all over the world and one thing is constant, McDonald's. And another thing that is constant with McDonald's is older, retired people getting together at McDonald's each morning.

Sometimes I eavesdrop a little to hear what they're saying. Sometimes it's about their kids, or grandkids, or the game, or politics, or this person or that person. But, it's always something.

These people have raised their families, sometimes their grandchildren, fought in wars, worked on assembly lines, typed memos, volunteered, ran companies, stayed married or got divorced, planted gardens, sold appliances, paid taxes, partied hard or not at all. Some are rich and some are not. In a way, they represent all of us.

So, each time I walk into a McDonald's I wonder about these people. They all sort of look the same to me now, but they arrived at this location from many different walks of life. There isn't one more important than the other. They aren't defined by their jobs or their money. They're just a group of people talking.

1 comment:

  1. And eating Big Macs ;-)

    I haven't been to McDonalds in ages. I rarely eat fast food, but when I do, it's a spicy chicken combo at Wendy's :-)

    It's always interesting to watch and listen to other people at any restaurant you happen to be eating at :-)

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete