Tuesday, March 31, 2009

America...what a country!


I'm going to visit my daughter in Washington, D.C. this weekend. When I think of her I always smile. I think because she's always smiling.

Washington is a place I always look forward to seeing and I'm glad to be seeing it with her. Awesome is too small a word to describe this place. The Lincoln Memorial, Jefferson Memorial, Washington Memorial, Vietnam Memorial, World War II, and I haven't even started on the Smithsonians, Capitol, White House.

Washington is a place where I like to linger....and think....and savor each word. I remember once I spent an hour in the Julia Child exhibit at the Museum of American History. Before that, I didn't know what a cool lady she was. I was at the Holocaust Museum on Survivors' Weekend about five years ago. Being of German descent, I've never felt so much sorrow...and shame.

When I go through Arlington Cemetary, I can't help but feel humbled by the sacrifice others have made for me. Buried under those rows and rows of white crosses lie the hopes, dreams and potential of our children.

I've been to Washington, D.C. several times and each time is different. I come home feeling a little more complete...a little more American.

3 comments:

  1. Have a fantastic trip. I am quite envious. It is an amazing place and I feel a great sense of pride for this country and it's people when I am there. Julia Child ROCKS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel more patriotic just for having read what you wrote! Once again, you have touched my heart with your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tom,
    The Datsun 240 Z employed, and in fact introduced, the term "Awesome" to the hoi polloi.
    I avoid it like the cliched plague it has become, verbally. Perhaps you disagree, but there is my opinion, sir!!

    ReplyDelete