Saturday, July 10, 2010

a return to my youth…..

When I was a kid, the two most important times of the year for me were Christmas and County Fair.  Both of these events meant I was going to be a part of something special.  At Christmas, it meant parties, great meals, gifts, and of course, the birth of Jesus.  County Fair meant going on rides, watching tractor pulls and being with my dad.

Well, today was County Fair.   As a kid, I was allowed to have $2 a day, or $4 for the whole run.  Rides were a quarter.  You could eat a  meal for less than a dollar.  And, sodas were a dime. 

securedownload[1]

Today, I spent $9 to get in and $5 for a lemonade.  Times have changed.

County Fair seemed to be a big part of my life.  As a very young kid, it was about being with my dad, going on rides, eating stuff I couldn’t have every day, and honey sundaes.  As I got older, it was about hanging out and watching skanky girls.  There were even people with tattoos.   As a young father, it was about taking my kids, putting them on rides, and cotton candy. 

The Fair still focuses on the kids and their farm and home projects.  People enter their cakes and jellies and pies and chickens and photographs and animals and so on.  And all of them want the big purple ribbon.

But, as much as I wanted to enjoy the Fair, I left in an hour.  I guess it just isn’t the same as it was when I was with my father.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good way to spend Saturday.....and to pull out a few memories to enjoy as well. But I know what you mean....it's never the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Living in the Ottawa Valley we have numerous County-Country Fairs so can relate to what you are saying Tom re family tradition. -Brenda-

    ReplyDelete