Thursday, October 15, 2009

chew, chew, chew on this….

For years, our transportation system evolved and revolved around me.  I want to be there.  I want to drive my car.  And, I want to be there when I want to be there, not a minute before and not a minute after.

On Tuesday, I spent an hour and forty-five minutes going from suburban Chicago to downtown, maybe 25 minutes.  As I’m sitting there, in traffic, watching train after train go by me, I kept thinking “Why am I not on that train?”

As I got to my destination I circled and circled and circled, trying to find a parking spot.  Finally, one opened up.  Now, as I’m digging in my pockets for change, I have to figure out how much time and how much money I’ll need.  They’ve got these meters that print out a receipt you put on your dash to show you’ve paid.  But, you have to guess right, because you just can’t add money to the meter. 

I went to my stop, the Chinese Consulate.  I waited and waited and waited for my turn.  It’s coming close to when my meter time would run out.  But, if I leave, I’ll have to wait and wait and wait some more.  So, I risk it and leave about 10 minutes late.  As I get to my car, I notice a lovely parting gift from the City of Chicago.

I might be a slow learner, but this convenience of a car isn’t so convenient.  Take the train.  Save some time.  Save some money.

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree! I've seen how horrible traffic is around DC and how scarce parking is! When in doubt, take the Metro!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh crap, that's aggravating!! All aspects of it, but especially the parting gift from the City of Chicago. Booooooo!!

    But that being said, I just am NOT a public transit person. Good thing I have a little car that can squeeze into little parking spaces :-)

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete