Saturday, January 28, 2012

the most important day in history….

I was watching a movie trailer when a question was asked.  “What is the most important day in history?”

The answer.  Today.

I’m working on living in the present.  A new friend of mine spent time with me emphasizing the importance of living now, not yesterday, not tomorrow, but today.

As an ambitious guy, I’ve always done this game plan.  If I do this, that will happen.  And, when that happens, I’ll do this.  And when I do this, that will happen.  And, I work myself into unknown times forward planning this and that. 

And, while I’m planning this and that, I’m missing now  Sure, if there’s a car accident in front of me, I’ll notice.  But, really, not much else, because my head’s buried up my ass trying to plan my way to oblivion. 

So, with my friend’s help, I’m going to work on this.  I’m going to let things come in their time.  I’m going to see and feel and touch and hear and smell and breathe.  I’m going to find a chair and just sit.  I’m going to play some music, LOUD.  I’m going to play with my food.  I’m going to stop and listen.  I’m going to live a life worth living.

And then, I’ll do the Rocky dance. 

Hello Today!

5 comments:

  1. I love this! Love it! Good for you!

    Recovering planner, here. Getting better at the in-the-moment-ing approach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AMEN. Breathe and Be

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hoping you can keep this up! And hoping you are well, Tom.

    Patty

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is something to be said about living long enough to be selfish and feeling good about it. We paint, purchase new carpets, update the landscaping etc all for the new owners...just think of the pleasures had the work been completed for the present owners. This moment is all we really have. Make it count.

    V from Ky...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This advise from your wise friend is good. I have learned this over the past 4 years to Live in the Present! I still need to remind myself of this. Life is fuller as a result and friendships are deeper and more meaningful as a result.

    ReplyDelete