Tuesday, April 20, 2010

a hollow promise.....

Yesterday, enroute to the Raleigh Durham Airport, I passed a soldier in full gear with a cardboard sign in hand. "Need Help, anything appreciated," was scribbled on the sign in Magic Marker.

His camouflage gear was clean, neat, and even the matching boots were spotless. This man was obviously an officer, with a smartly trimmed moustache, sandy hair, maybe in his 40's or 50's.

I was devastated. "How could this be?" I thought to myself. This is America, and this man gave of himself to protect me. I owed him.

I made a promise to myself I would stop after I dropped off my passenger to give some help, and maybe get to know this soldier.

I did drop off my passenger and got a call. As I left the airport, my thoughts moved to business and I was on my way to the on ramp, and then the highway.

About 20 minutes later I remembered.....How could I have forgotten? But, I did.

1 comment:

  1. Your intentions were honourable but was he a soldier? Reason why I ask, not too long ago at a Gov't auction I was astounded to see military uniforms/attire on the Block.

    Don't know what your country's policy is on outdated or second-hand issue, but I wrote a letter to my Member of Parliament and let him know what I thought.

    Sadly, nowadays you just never know.
    -Brenda-

    ReplyDelete